Exercises in Daring

FIND MY VOICE, FORGIVE MY STUTTER: my works-in-progress

Saturday, October 08, 2005

perspective writing exercise

1.

Wet on my face. Big, soft honey with mouth open, wet out. Touch my nose and smell like a belly hurt. Honey has big teeth. Dark open mouth, and I can't move. This is a funny tickle. The wet is hot and I can't breathe.

"Aw, look they're playing!"

This is called playing. Wet is now on my neck. I fall, but the bed isn't soft. Wet is on my face again. Something hard and heavy on my heart. It hurts. The wet is hot and I hate it and I can't breate. Crying is letting go of the funny in your belly.

Mama is bigger than honey. Mama has a strong hold. Going up is quick and happy. Honey is now very small. Mama's face smells like the bed.

------

2.

This is the kid human. It smells like food. And sheets. And taking a walk. I want to take a walk. But it's not time. Come on, kid, let's take a walk.

The kid tastes like bowl water. Stuff is coming out of its eyes. It's moving its arms very fast. Uh-oh. No walk. Yes walk? No walk. Kid doesn't want to walk. Okay!

But I do! I want to go through that door. Smell the street! The street smells like bowl food! I ate the bowl food that was on the table, and the big woman got mad! Woohoo! It smelled like cars. Woohoo!

Walk me, kid, I'm ready. Here, take my neck plant! You can grab it, just like this.

Oh no, what'd I do?

------

3.

Oh, my poor baby! I go to the kitchen for just one minute, and that damn dog is all over Henry again. Stupid dog, what does it want? I'm gonna get George to call the vet, tonight. We really have to do something about that dog. The vet better cure the thing, or that's one dog that's sleeping in the shelter tomorrow.

What does the thing want now? Why does George like that smelly thing so much anyway?

Oh no! My fish is going to burn!

But wait, poor Henry. Oh Henry, he really does cry! Not like his sister, Babette. Babette was such a sweet baby.

Babette? Where's Babette? I'll get her to pick Henry up.

No, I should really do it myself. But my fish is going to burn.